A history of Cadishead Wesley
The first place of worship to be built in Cadishead (Lords Street) was in 1807, when it was the centre of community life, reflecting the parochial outlook of the congregation – mainly farmers and fustian cutters. Three classrooms were added in 1841. These became the Infants’ School in 1874 – again a first.
The need for larger premises forced the Trustees to acquire land on Liverpool Road (where Arnold Laver’s Timber business is now). A new 720 seat Chapel was built in 1874 at a cost £3,400. An extension was added to the Lords Street building (1920), which became the Sunday School Primary department. In the seventies it was agreed to build a smaller modern Church on the Lords Street site. The final service in the old Church was on September 4th. 1977.
Many events, including Scouts, Youth Club, Badminton, Concerts, Fayres, Jumble Sales, Teas, Polling Station, have taken place in the Schoolrooms. The last event before demolition was when 180 people attended the VE Day Celebrations.
It was decided in 2002 to demolish the old schoolrooms and replace with a new hall, kitchen, and toilets for the disabled, for use as a Community Hall. Grants were applied for, and substantial sums were received from Biffa Waste Services, Wren Waste Recycling and the Hamilton Davies Trust amongst others. In July 2005, building of the new hall began. Completed in December, 3 weeks ahead of schedule, a Service of Opening and dedication was held on 7th. January 2006.